Skip to main content

Week 2 Reading Response

The Last World War

So far I have really enjoyed The Last World War. The book starts out with a marine reserve squad doing annual training for their duty. They then encounter an alien species that infiltrate Earth by using wormholes that jump two places in space and time to another. There are already a couple things that stand out. One of them being the accurate depiction of an alien's language. By default alien movies go with the cliche and depict the aliens speaking English. This book shows the aliens speaking an entirely different language, therefore creating a language barrier.

Another thing that stood out to me is the entirely inaccurate depiction of wormholes. In real theory, wormholes aren't actually confirmed, so we don't really know if they even exist. What we do know is that if they exist, then a huge amount of energy would be required to keep on open for a long period of time. A wormhole in the Earth's atmosphere would cause spontaneous combustion of the entire Earth. Obviously, that doesn't happen in the book.

Comments

  1. I like the way you noticed and pointed out the effects of language in a book like this. I also like the way that you pointed out the wormholes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

March for Our Lives

I really did want to go to the event. Not because I support gun control, however. All across our nation people have protested for gun control. Just think about that for a second. People are protesting to have their own rights taken away. The rest of this entry will be the reasons on why gun control is stupid and completely useless and also why we even have the right to bear arms. All of my statistics come from the FBI crime center or other reliable sources. The first point that I want to touch on is the fact that guns do not kill people. A gun can physically not sprout legs and decide to kill someone. Also, a guns main function is not to only kill people. Often, a gun can be used to intimidate an aggressor to prevent an altercation from even happening in the first place. It is only logical to assume that if a possible defender has a gun, then a possible aggressor will hesitate because of the fact that he/she may be shot at after he initiates. But the world is not logical. Often there

America's Gun Problem, Explained (Not Really, and I Actually Explain Why)

I chose an article from Vox. Vox has been known to many as a reliable news source and has been cited by multiple politicians is the end all be all of news sources. The article which is titled America's gun problem, explained , attempts to give a large number of statistics and then links these "facts" together to form a statement (I will come to this statement later). There is also a video from Vox that accompanies the article, and I will include all of the facts and statements that they make there into this blog. The first claim that Vox makes is that America's gun problem is completely unique compared to the rest of the developed world. They do this by comparing homicide rates between countries (in the article) and by comparing mass shooting occurrences between countries (in the video). After this claim, they then go on to claim that more guns means more death. They even show an entire chart of all of the states and shows that a larger percentage of legal gun owner

High School - My Thoughts and Goals

The entire time that I was in Middle School, I would think about the next level on the food chain, high school. The first day was not exceedingly bad like I thought it would be. Teachers just introduced themselves and their courses, and I wasn't really worried. I still feel the same, and I hope that I can reach my goals for this year and throughout high school.  I have a couple of goals for life that I would like to reach in the next 4 years. First of which being my choice of college. I have had a list of 3 colleges for a while now, and mainly because I have always known what I have wanted. The three main colleges that I would like to apply for are MIT, Stanford, and Harvard. I know that I will have to work hard to achieve this goal, and I am ready to go full speed ahead to reach it.